Thank you so much for your interest in serving others and giving back to your community. It is an encouragement and a blessing. Many homeless individuals and families will benefit from your efforts. Listed below are some volunteer opportunities available at this time.
- Volunteer Coordinator – Coordinating volunteer activities at all facilities and being the point of contact for all other volunteers.
- Advocacy – Be an advocate and speak out about homelessness and poverty in the region by giving presentations to groups and individuals or attending local activities on their behalf.
- Event Planning – Help GSA plan and carry out a fundraising event.
- Building and Grounds Maintenance – Assist in construction or repair of shelter and office facilities, provide services such as mowing, painting, plumbing, and vehicle maintenance.
- Life Skills Teacher – Lead small classes in various life skills such as financial and credit counseling, budgeting, parenting and technology skills.
- Professional Services – We need physicians, dentists, auto technicians, plumbers, painters, electricians, landscapers, ITT professionals, carpenters, and counselors to help support the children, women and families at our facilities.
- Substitute Monitor Program – A substitute monitor is an individual who receives training to fill in during times that our full-time monitors are on vacation. This is only available for women at this time. This program requires group training including crisis management. A substitute would be contacted when the monitor goes on vacation to sign up to do early morning and late night checks (8am and 10pm) weekdays and weekends. If you are interested in being a part of this program, please contact us.
- Campfire Program – FULL at this time.
- Thrift store in Sterling and Hope’s Treasures in Ashburn – We always need help sorting clothes and donated items at our thrift stores in Sterling and Ashburn, VA. Our thrift stores are a wonderful blessing to us in two ways: All of our guests and outreach clients can receive free vouchers to shop for necessities, and proceeds from the sale of items support our three shelters.
- Office – Light office duties at our home office in Ashburn, VA, Monday through Friday, 9:00am to 5:00pm. Must be 18 years old or a responsible, mature 16 or 17 year old.
- Yard work and handyman services – Work is occasionally needed.
- Hosting a BBQ, Bake Sale, Rummage Sale – To promote awareness and to raise funding in support of shelters.
- Set up a table at church or event – To promote awareness of homelessness.
- Walk for Shelter – In September each year we have our Annual Walk for Shelter. The walk will starts at the Douglass Community Center and we walk through the historic section of Leesburg. Sign up at least 10 days before the walk to receive a t-shirt and get as many sponsors as you can. Watch our website for registration forms each Spring.
Please let us know if you feel led to serve in another way. Without your support Good Shepherd Alliance would not be able to provide the shelter or bare essentials that we have the privilege of giving to those in need.